Bio-organic Fertilizers (BOF)
Bio-organic Fertilizers (BOF) are natural fertilizers from agro-industrial wastes produced by farm and industry activities. BIOTECH’s BOFs use crop residues and agro-industrial by-products such as coconut coir dust, mud press, animal manure, other similar materials and process them into refined inoculated compost or bio-organic fertilizers.
BIO-QUICK – contains a special fungus for effective decomposition of household and agro-industrial wastes.
BIO-FIX – enhances and enriches the nutritive content and effectivity of the BOF
BIO-GREEN – derived from farm and industrial wastes and composted by selected strains of fungus (BIO-QUICK) and enriched with nitrogen-fixing bacteria (BIO-FIX)
The inoculants may be applied on the following agriculture and agro-industrial wastes: chicken, swine, or cattle manure combined with farm wastes such as rice straw, coffee hulls, corn stover, grass cuttings, leaves, and other plant residues; or with agro-industrial wastes such as sugarcane bagasse or mud press.
BIO-QUICK and BIO-FIX are both 1kg per pack.
Storage: Keep in a cool, dry place.
BIO-QUICK – 2 months from date of manufacture
BIO-FIX – 6 months from date of manufacture
Precaution: Avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. How was the BOF inoculant developed?
There are plenty of farm and agro-industrial wastes in the Philippines. If utilized properly, these could be a rich source of natural fertilizers.
In 1991, BIOTECH developed a technology to process crop residues and agro-industrial by-products such as coconut coir dust, mud press, animal manure, and other similar materials, into refined inoculated compost or bioorganic fertilizers.
2. What are the benefits of using BOF inoculant?
- The processed BOF can increase yield by up to 20-30%, makes plants healthier and improves soil quality.
- The process of producing BOF is a sound waste management strategy.
- Promotes homogeneity in humification; increased population of beneficial nitrogen-fixing bacteria.
- Produces matured, stabilized, and sanitized compost.
- Eliminates phytotoxic effects.
- Optimizes the level of nutrients in the fertilizer.
3. Is the BOF inoculant for sale at BIOTECH? How much does it cost?
BOF is sold at Php100 per kilogram.
4. How do you use the BOF inoculant?
- BIO-QUICK is used at a minimum of 2 packs per ton of waste materials to be composted. Mix 1 part plant residues to 2-3 parts animal wastes. Adjust moisture content to 50-60%.
- Apply BIO-QUICK by mixing/broadcasting the materials to be composted and laid out or formed into a heap.
- Mix or turn over the heap every week. After 3 weeks, the heap’s volume will be reduced by 20- 30%.
- A minimum of 2 packs of BIO-FIX is necessary to inoculate one ton of composted wastes that is further incubated for another week during the curing period.
Dr. Mannix S. Pedro
Project Leader and University Researcher
E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org