Bio N is a microbial based fertilizer mainly composed of microorganisms (bacteria) isolated from the roots of talahib (Saccharum spontaneum). These bacteria can convert atmospheric nitrogen (N₂) into a form that is usable by rice, corn, and vegetables and enhances shoot growth and root development.
Bio N™ comes in powder form in a handy 200-gram packet, which is meant for either seed inoculation, direct broadcasting over seeds or mixed with water as root dip.
As of 6 March 2023, Bio N™ has been exclusively licensed to AgriSpecialist, Inc. to improve access for farmers in need of safe, effective, and low cost fertilizer.
Quantity: 200 g/pack
Storage: Keep in cool dry place
Shelf-life: Ten months
Precaution: Avoid direct contact of Bio N™ with inorganic or chemical fertilizers and avoid exposure to high temperature and direct sunlight.
Rate of application:
- Rice - 5 packs/ha
- Corn - 6 packs/ha
- Vegetable - 20 packs/ha
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Research on Bio N was initiated in 1985 by Dr. Mercedes U. Garcia. The microorganisms from talahib were continuously screened under laboratory conditions and were found to be effective in enhancing nitrogen intake of plants. Laboratory tests and field experiments showed that it has improved the growth and yield of crops such as rice and corn. These experiments were then followed by screening tests in dry land and paddy conditions.
- Replaces 30-50% of the total nitrogen requirement of rice and corn.
- Increases yield of rice, corn, and vegetables.
- Makes plants healthy and green even in drought and in the presence of pests.
- Reduces incidence of rice tungro and corn ear-worm attack.
- One packet is good for 3-kg seeds in a container, moisten with water and put enough amount of Bio N™.
- Mix thoroughly until the seeds are evenly coated.
- Sow coated seeds immediately. Do not expose the seeds to sunlight.
- Apply a bag of 46-0-0 or 14-14-14 to a hectare as side dress.
b. Pour the required amount of Bio N™. Make sure that all germinants
1. As liquid inoculant for dapog bed: Mix Bio N™ in a sufficient volume of clean water and evenly drench the seed/seedling-lined dapog bed.